Thursday, September 26, 2013

On Life: Part 2, Voices Far Way from Where I Grew Up

The faith of my childhood having failed in substantial ways  to make sense out of life, I kept thinking.  And reading.  And exploring.  And traveling.  Discovering and listening to voices far away from where I grew up.  And I have come across many amazing insights that do help me make sense of life.  

I have learned, for instance, that change and pain and hard knocks are inevitable.  I have learned to accept that I can never know what will happen to me next.  I am learning to relax with the idea that we are always in transition – that things are always coming together and falling apart, and coming together again and falling apart again, and that often their falling apart brings healing and creates space for what is new and better.[i]
                                                                                   
When emotional distress arises, I am learning to let the story line go.  Behind unhappiness there is always an unhappy story, a drama I keep telling myself that fuels my distress.  And I am learning that only if I am not caught up in my own version of things can I see what’s really happening.[ii]       

I am learning to live in the present moment, to show up for whatever life offers, to not hold back because things are not going as I wish, but to let go of my preferences and acquire the kind of invincibility that comes from not being attached to any particular outcome.[iii]

I am learning not to swing at every pitch.  Not all problems require a solution.  Now instead of keeping everything stirred up all the time, in the words of the Tao Te Ching, I am learning

the patience to wait
till my mud settles
and the water is clear. 

And often I find that when I quit reacting against a situation, the solution arises out of the situation itself.

I am learning to move gently toward what scares me, to lean toward the pain, knowing that the pain is usually a sign that I’m still holding on to something – often my own ego.[iv]   

I am learning, not without pain, that nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know.[v]
                                                                                               
I am learning to connect with bigger and bigger perspectives, to evolve beyond the little me that seeks to cocoon in comfort zones.  I know that God is always larger and kinder than I suppose.  And I am learning that the only actions that do not cause strong reactions are – drum roll, please – those aimed at the good of all.  They are things that include, not exclude; that bring people together, not drive them apart.  They are for all of us, not just for me and people like me.  They are for all humanity, not just my country, not just “my” religion. [vi]  
           
And I am learning (thank you, C.S. Lewis) that if I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy it means that I was made for another world.[vii]

There are then many, many insights – too many!  But I think they come down to come to some basic insights of Jesus, three in particular, which I will begin focusing on in my next post.  Due to travel plans, however, this will be three weeks from now. 



[i] Pema Chödrön, When Things Fall Apart, 8.
[ii] Pema Chödrön, When Things Fall Apart, 50-51, 56, 79, 123; The Places That Scare You, 28.
[iii] Rachel Naomi Remen, Kitchen Table Wisdom: Stories That Heal, 171.
[iv] Pema Chödrön, The Places That Scare You, 50, 94.
[v] Pema Chödrön, When Things Fall Apart, 66.
[vi] Eckhart Tolle, A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose, 290.
[vii] As cited in Brent Curtis & John Eldredge, The Sacred Romance, 180.


No comments:

Post a Comment