Friday, September 20, 2013

On Life: Part 1, Rethinking the Reason for Being Alive

One way or another, we are always trying to make sense of being alive.  And each day brings us new ways to be bewildered, new things to wonder about, maybe to be deeply concerned about.  To begin with, a lot of things depend on where we were born, and to whom, and where life has led us.  Life is a very different matter for many of us than it is for those who live in a Palestinian refugee camp, or an AIDS-ravaged village in sub-Sahara Africa, or in earthquake-devastated Haiti.

Yet almost all of us have some basic concerns in common:  Why am I alive?  For what purpose?  How am I connected to others? Why do these powerful emotions and desires surge within me and drive me to do what’s not in my best interest to do?  What am I meant to do with my life?  How am I meant to spend my days?  And why are things so hard?  Why sickness, suffering, tragedy and loss?  Why constant struggle, conflict and fear?  Why are so many relationships unsatisfying?  Why the injustices and inequities of life?  There are, it seems, a thousand questions, and for each many conflicting answers. 

I look in Scripture, and I find help.  I remember what Paul wrote in Romans 7:15-19, “I do not understand what I do.  For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. … I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.  For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do – this I keep on doing.”  And this makes sense up to a point, and when I’m in certain moods.  But why?  Why are things this way?

I think of life as I was growing up.  We had made sense of it, after a fashion.  By we, I mean the adults in the little churches I went to.  Life was about obeying God.  Obeying God meant being right on baptism, communion, church organization and worship, in fact, on all matters pertaining to the church.  And there was only one true church – specifically ours.  There were also lists of things not to do: divorce, drinking, dancing, or really anything on Sunday other than church and napping, which some did simultaneously.  The other kinds of questions didn’t matter really.  Life was just hard.  What did matter was that those who did these things correctly did not go to Hell.  That was the purpose of life, to save one’s soul from Hell, and of course, if one could, to save a few other souls too though people were known to be stubborn.  That the story ended with vast numbers burning for ever and ever was thought to be regrettable but not catastrophic.   And all of this made sense as long as we just kept talking to ourselves.  But the longer I lived the more I realized that much, much more is going on in life, that it does not make sense that the earth with its six billion plus people is just a backdrop for a few hundred thousand of God’s elect. 

How did we ever, in a universe that seemingly stretches forever, come to think in ways that are so small, so sectarian?

2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed your blogs very much, Dale. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That last paragraph intersects a lot with my life too, the first twenty one years, at least. I saw you around at Harding for a couple of years but the first time we communicated was on a spring break campaign in, I think, Peoria, Illinois in 1971. You then graduated and took off to Michigan for a year to study Psychology. Then the next time I saw you was in the early summer of '72 as we were at a camp in training to go to Campaign's Northeast which was organized by Owen Olbricht. Our modus operandi was to spend three weeks in a locale knocking on doors and engaging people in Bible Study. I clearly remember you opining that it was a lot to ask of people to change their whole way of thinking and their whole life after just a few hours of interaction with our point of view. That is one of those things that one reflects back on and sees as a critical point in one's life. That stayed with me all these years. It eventually turned out that the experiences of that summer ended up deconverting me from the sectarian view we were promoting at the time. I'm finding your posts to be very edifying. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete